Friday, October 17, 2014

Sampler Review: Ensnared by A.G. Howard

Hi everyone! Today's review post will be a bit different - usually, on Fridays, I post a review of a post-published novel. Today, I'm posting a mini review of one sampler which I have received. I also have The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows, but I won't be reading that one for a while. I read the sampler of The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon, but then I got the full-length novel, so I'll be posting a full review of that one later.

So, Ensnared sampler review! But first...





Ensnared by A.G. Howard
Book Three of the Splintered series
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
Rating: 4 stars 
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Please note: this rating/review is for the SAMPLER of this book - the first three chapters, and not the full-length novel.***

Summary (from Goodreads):

After surviving a disastrous battle at prom, Alyssa has embraced her madness and gained perspective. She’s determined to rescue her two worlds and the people and netherlings she loves. Even if it means challenging Queen Red to a final battle of wills and wiles . . . and even if the only way to Wonderland, now that the rabbit hole is closed, is through the looking-glass world—-a parallel dimension filled with mutated and sadistic netherling outcasts.

In the final installment of the Splintered trilogy, Alyssa and her dad journey into the heart of magic and mayhem in search of her mom and to set right all that’s gone wrong. Together with Jeb and Morpheus, they must salvage Wonderland from the decay and destruction that has ensnared it. But even if everyone succeeds and comes out alive, can they all truly have their happily ever after?

What I Liked:

Okay, three chapters is such a tease. I'm not entirely sure why the publisher didn't make the sampler "Read Now" on NetGalley, because three chapters is almost nothing! I promise you, those who didn't get approved for this sampler, don't feel bad at all! The first three chapters didn't contain anything... super monumental. Especially in terms of the romance.

However, the first three chapters do set the tone for the entire book. Alyssa needs her father to recover his memories of Wonderland. She needs to learn more about Red by accessing Red's memories. She needs to defeat Red, save Jeb, Morpheus, and the rest of her loved ones, along with Wonderland. Not much, physically occurs in the first three chapters, but a lot of information about Red is revealed.

Obviously I'm going to stop there, in terms of summarizing. Once more, Howard has already set the tone for the novel, with her haunting imagery and desperate, tragic tone. Alyssa won't give up what she wants, that much is clear. She will do anything to save everyone and everything. I'm excited to see how Alyssa uses the information that she has to plot her next step.

Basically, this sampler is a TEASE, and I want the real thing. Gimmee all of it!

What I Did Not Like:

I was hoping for a little bit more in terms of back story from book two - you know how authors usually insert small summarizing paragraphs of the previous book (or books)? There wasn't too much of that, which is okay, but I would have liked to see more. I've read a lot of books since Unhinged, so there are some details that have escaped me. Small thing to note!

Would I Recommend It:

I mean, I'd recommend the entire series, despite the awful love triangle (when I say "awful", I mean super powerful and really balanced love triangle). I hate that I don't have a feel for who Alyssa will end up with (seriously, that speaks to her character... or potential lack thereof), but it doesn't make me crazy enough to hate the series. I know people are skipping this series for the love triangle reason though. Which I understand. But I've really enjoyed the STORY so far, and not necessarily the romance primarily.

Rating:

4 stars. This rating is of the first three chapters - obviously, I have no way of rating the entire book because I have not read it!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!